Sunday, May 18, 2014

No Pain, No Gain!

We spend a good bit of time in our front yard fighting pirates, kicking balls, and making our way to the hammock. Being that our front yard consists entirely of sand - this translates into at least 547 pounds of sand being carried inside each week. Since sweeping is not my favorite activity I thought I should make a walkway to go around the yard. My neighbor has a walkway that she made with a mold, and she was sweet enough to let me borrow it.

I was up bright and early Saturday morning and determined to use every last bag of concrete that Brian was able to load into his truck. I had hired someone to mix batches of concrete while I filled the mold/rinsed/repeated. If you know me, you know that once I make up my mind to do something I want it done yesterday. I worked hard. Although I did wear gloves, the tips would break and concrete got under my nails. Because I didn't want to stop working, by the end of the day I had dried concrete solidly embedded under my nails and in my nail beds. And if you have worked with concrete (I had not) then you know that concrete burns your skin if left on there. Painful.

After five hours of work we had made 38 2'x2' molds.


My neighbor has tons of fun things embedded in her stones, so I decided to do that also. She gave me some things to get started with - I told you she's sweet. I also found a metal "4" that I decided to use since Cole just turned four. I added other things like an old measuring spoon from a set that my mama used forever and then gave to me, a lens cap, a fish hook, etc.

I also wrote our names and the name of the woman who owned the house and lived in it for almost all of the years since it was built in the 70s.


The bad news is that I still need more work done, and the guy who was helping me yesterday did not show up today. No surprise there because his fingers were at least as bad as mine. Maybe he will come back eventually!

If you decide you would like a cute, little walkway - here is a link to the mold. And be sure to get some heavy duty gloves and wash your hands OFTEN! 

And most importantly - if you need help with it - please don't call me. I'm pretty sure I will be busy washing my hair that day.



No comments:

Post a Comment